JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The Lee dies for my 6.5mm Creedmoor came with those oddball locking nuts that have eighteen little fingers, with which I believe users are supposed to tighten with their fingers. I decided to use examples of my older lock rings by different makers, but gave the matter a little more thought. I came-up with the idea to use 7/8-20 UNF hex nuts instead of the thin locking rings we get with our sets of dies. Went down to Big R just down the street and bought four of the 7/8 nuts. They work fantastically in that their height engages more of the dies threads than do the low-profile nuts. The sides are tall, so your twelve-inch adjustable wrench has a lesser chance to slip off the nut and smack you in the mouth. The attached image depicts the oddball Lee nut (left), the older hex nuts with which we all started (right) and the 7/8" nut from Big R. I got four of them for a little more than five bucks, which is about one-third of the gasoline to go to Reno and run around town until I found them. This nut is a Hillman product; Grade 8 hardness. I failed to record the part number-- I was just so happy to have found them so close to home and so inexpensive that I was giddy and forgot that you guys might have the same problem with the oddball locking rings...

big-hex-nut.JPG

Nineteen bucks, plus seven or eight to ship it. Wait four or five days to receive. I got four of the 7/8-20 UNF nuts for less than $5.50 ($6.99/pound), and I had them in my hands in less than fifteen minutes after I left my digs to go get them. Going to go buy two more today for my .223 dies. I went to Lowe's a few days ago to find the C-wrench that looks very similar to your image. The wrench has something to do with tightening the nuts on a J-box. I did find two there in different sizes, but my opinion was that they just didn't have enough "grab" on the splines of the oddball nut. The wrenches were not blister-packed, so I was able to test-fit them to the nut. The two-wrench set was around sixteen bucks, plus tax. I like these big 7/8-20 nuts. They look "all business." Nothing spindly nor weak about them...

Was just showing you there was a wrench for those spline nuts, as you stated you thought they were to be tightened with your fingers.
I think they actually are to be tightened with the fingers. I looked around the web a bit once I'd seen them for the very first time and found that some said to use the small wrench, while others were adamant that only the fingers were to be used. I want the dies to be situated in the press like the Rock of Gibraltar, so I wanted hex nuts. I looked at a three-pack of them in Scheels; the price of them turned me off. That's when I made effort to find the thread designation of the dies. Once I knew that, I went and bought the 7/8-20 nuts.

Too rich for my blood...

I enjoy the "precision and patience" required to load every cartridge. I like to develop a repeatable sequence of hand motions and all the things we have to do to load just a single round. It's also relaxing for me. You can't load ammo if you're irritated, in a hurry or tired after a long day. That's just asking to make a mistake that might be costly. Sometimes you load ammo and you feel that you did a good job: Brass fully-prepped, correct powder charges and bullets seated right where they need to be. Y'almost don't want to shoot it...

Back Top