JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So two court cases that I watched where the prosecutor brought in testimony relating to how the ammo the shooter used was chosen to inflict the maximum damage were Kyle R and Zimmerman. Both were using factory FMJ ammo. and neither moved the needle for the prosecution. This is what the lawyers reach for when they have nothing else. DR

So two court cases that I watched where the prosecutor brought in testimony relating to how the ammo the shooter used was chosen to inflict the maximum damage were Kyle R and Zimmerman. Both were using factory FMJ ammo. and neither moved the needle for the prosecution. This is what the lawyers reach for when they have nothing else. DR
FMJ. Not XTP or V-MAX. Which explains the needle, of course.

I once explained to a nonhunter that the plastic tip on a 40 grain V-MAX .22 Hornet bullet was to keep from hurting the coyote. like the plastic corner covers you put on a coffee table to protect a toddler if he stumbles.

I tell people that JHP type bullets deliver maximum "stopping" power. As such, they can minimize the amount of rounds a defendant needs to fire. A FMJ type bullet is more likely to over penetrate and possibly hit an innocent. An assailant that is stopped with less rounds probably has a better chance of survival. Also, sending less rounds down range minimizes the chance of hitting an innocent.

The key is knowledge before hand. If you are able to articulate why the JHP round is more safe and humane you can defend yourself against the type of prosecutors described above.

I tell people that JHP type bullets deliver maximum "stopping" power. As such, they can minimize the amount of rounds a defendant needs to fire. A FMJ type bullet is more likely to over penetrate and possibly hit an innocent. An assailant that is stopped with less rounds probably has a better chance of survival. Also, sending less rounds down range minimizes the chance of hitting an innocent.

The key is knowledge before hand. If you are able to articulate why the JHP round is more safe and humane you can defend yourself against the type of prosecutors described above.
Of course you are correct. But you will never have an opportunity to articulate to the people who will determine your fate. If a shooting goes to criminal or civil trial you will have a role, but most likely not a speaking role about ballistics. Instead, an expert witness for either or both sides will answer questions to the prosecutor or plaintiff attorney (criminal or civil trial) and to your defense attorney with each party working to influence jurors.

From a "performance" point of view my puny J frame .38's are loaded with 158 grain lead semi wadcutters. I doubt even the hottest Buffalo Bore bullets can hit 800 fps out of the short barrel so they need all the help with penetration they can get.

Of course you are correct. But you will never have an opportunity to articulate to the people who will determine your fate. If a shooting goes to criminal or civil trial you will have a role, but most likely not a speaking role about ballistics. Instead, an expert witness for either or both sides will answer questions to the prosecutor or plaintiff attorney (criminal or civil trial) and to your defense attorney with each party working to influence jurors.

From a "performance" point of view my puny J frame .38's are loaded with 158 grain lead semi wadcutters. I doubt even the hottest Buffalo Bore bullets can hit 800 fps out of the short barrel so they need all the help with penetration they can get.
I wouldn't feel undergunned w/ a J frame w/ 158 gr led semi wadcutters.

I wouldn't feel undergunned w/ a J frame w/ 158 gr led semi wadcutters.
Ballistically the bullet energy is in the .380 realm from a snubbie, and if I was a professional A .380 would make more sense. But the J frames drop in a hidden pocket in my cell phone case, and revolvers don't jam, even when they don't get regular attention.

Outside of a 1911 I can't think of any semi auto I have that hasn't stove-piped or had a FTF at some point.

My philosophy is that should a fifteen round magazine be required in a carry-gun I should rethink where I am going to or carry a shotgun or both. I cannot think of a practical use for some of the high capacity 9mm's I have beyond target shooting or a hidden car gun.

Ballistically the bullet energy is in the .380 realm from a snubbie, and if I was a professional A .380 would make more sense. But the J frames drop in a hidden pocket in my cell phone case, and revolvers don't jam, even when they don't get regular attention.

Outside of a 1911 I can't think of any semi auto I have that hasn't stove-piped or had a FTF at some point.

My philosophy is that should a fifteen round magazine be required in a carry-gun I should rethink where I am going to or carry a shotgun or both. I cannot think of a practical use for some of the high capacity 9mm's I have beyond target shooting or a hidden car gun.
You can't beat a revolver for reliability and ease of use. I'm a Glock fan. I can't remember a time when I had a stove pipe or failure to feed on any of my Glock's. With that said, you have to be familiar with any gun you carry for defense. A semi-auto takes a little more upkeep and practice.

For most homeowners, I have always recommended a .38 revolver for primary home defense. I like the Hornady Critical Defense round. I also recommend a Remington 870.

As for myself, I have Glock's for home defense w/ an AR pistol that takes the same mags.

You can't beat a revolver for reliability and ease of use. I'm a Glock fan. I can't remember a time when I had a stove pipe or failure to feed on any of my Glock's. With that said, you have to be familiar with any gun you carry for defense. A semi-auto takes a little more upkeep and practice.

For most homeowners, I have always recommended a .38 revolver for primary home defense. I like the Hornady Critical Defense round. I also recommend a Remington 870.

As for myself, I have Glock's for home defense w/ an AR pistol that takes the same mags.
I couldn't agree more. Both could stay loaded in a closet for fifty years and would dependably function whenever they were needed. Every century or so the 870 should get a magazine spring, maybe.

I did forget my Glock 26 never has jammed, though I doubt I've shot 100 rounds through it. I finally just had to buy one a year or so ago but it's bigger than the J frames so I seldom carry it.

A friend who took gunsmith classes 20 years ago remarked then that he viewed the instructor's log and our of 1500 (repairs) logged in zero were Glocks. A few trigger upgrades, etc. but no performance-related repairs.

Yep. The Glock is a workhorse. I believe your friend. A Glock is like the Eveready Bunny. It keeps going and going an........Chuck Taylor did an article one in Combat Handguns titled "360,000 Rounds and Counting". Look it up, it's an interesting read.

The double stacks are pretty bulky to carry concealed. The 43 is a single stack and a lot more concealable.

You're spot on abut the 870.

Yep. The Glock is a workhorse. I believe your friend. A Glock is like the Eveready Bunny. It keeps going and going an........Chuck Taylor did an article one in Combat Handguns titled "360,000 Rounds and Counting". Look it up, it's an interesting read.

The double stacks are pretty bulky to carry concealed. The 43 is a single stack and a lot more concealable.

You're spot on abut the 870.
"Both could stay loaded in a closet for fifty years and would dependably function whenever they were needed."

I had an uncle the same way.

Back Top