JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
No dog invthis fight except that legalization may entice those that might not haven started to try it. I still think inhaling any foreign products in your lungs is bad. I hate the odor. It absolutely permeates the air like nothing else. Alcohol is also very bad At least i dont have to smell it driving down the road.
Again, your personal preference for a substance is irrelevant to the issue. The issue is that of maximizing personal freedom for everybody.

All the left can do is pass laws to infringe on the law-abiding while doing nothing to stop crime. How the hell MLG and Keller got re-elected is mind-boggling.
The Democratic Party has marketed themselves as the "party of the people" since Kennedy despite the fact that their idea of being populist is simply means being dependent on government programs.

I was just pointing the common hypocrisy in the position that you currently hold. A lot of anti-cannabis people I talk to don't say a thing about alcohol which is more dangerous than cannabis and legal everywhere. Right now, it's basically up to the states to legalize cannabis if they want which is somewhat reasonable.
While I will keep my own preferences my own the states cannot legalize marijuana since it is illegal under federal law. Much like immigration Congress has failed in its duty to either enforce or repeal legislation regulating use.

The way it is now is like South Carolina deciding not to recognize the Emancipation Proclamation or NYC not recognizing the Bruen Decision regulating legal carry. Oh, wait. New York has ignored Bruen,

While I will keep my own preferences my own the states cannot legalize marijuana since it is illegal under federal law. Much like immigration Congress has failed in its duty to either enforce or repeal legislation regulating use.

The way it is now is like South Carolina deciding not to recognize the Emancipation Proclamation or NYC not recognizing the Bruen Decision regulating legal carry. Oh, wait. New York has ignored Bruen,
Which is against original federalist principles of divided power between national and regional governments. Just another reason why the United States government has strayed so far away from its founding that it is nearly unrecognizable.

... ... alcohol, which is more dangerous than cannabis and legal everywhere. . .
Alcohol is legal everywhere because the government gets a piece of the action from every legal sale.

I think a man would give a buddy a beer before he'll give him a small amount of marri-hwonna to the same friend. That's just me, though. I don't know intestinal sculpture from apple butter when it comes to "druggz." In that, I am exquisitely-proud of my ignorance...

We must get a new Gov!
Getting a new Governor is a given, as this one is term limited out (and has to return to her crypt before sunrise, of course). The problem is the Secretary of State, Maggie Toulouse Oliver, who is heir apparent and by all appearances will continue to Californiaize New Mexico. With the weak Republican Party unable to field a candidate with a platform the future for gun rights in New Mexico is bleak.

While I do not think drug-use should be encouraged on a mass scale, I also do not think any of it should be illegal. For me, it's is an issue of personal freedom. A person should be able to alter their body how they want even if it is unhealthy for them in the long-term.

Access to firearms should be legal, access to drugs should be legal, . . .
I rarely come across anyone else who shares my belief on the legalization of all drugs. if you make it legal, you take away a huge chunk of revenue from illegal and violent organizations, give small businesses a chance to make money on something people are already doing, and the people who want to do it, can do it with less stigma, and if they die, they die. Their life, their call. Not for me to save.

While I do not think drug-use should be encouraged on a mass scale, I also do not think any of it should be illegal. For me, it's is an issue of personal freedom. A person should be able to alter their body how they want even if it is unhealthy for them in the long-term.

Access to firearms should be legal, access to drugs should be legal, . . .
If it were just about what drug use did to the user, I would not care at all. But drug abuse leads to crime, child abuse, and long term illnesses that you and I pay the bills for.

If it were just about what drug use did to the user, I would not care at all. But drug abuse leads to crime, child abuse, and long term illnesses that you and I pay the bills for.
Drug use can lead to crime only because the drugs in question are illegal. If all drugs were legal, then addicts would not need to resort to crime to obtain them. They could be administered by medical professionals.

Just look at what happened when we tried to criminalize alcohol in the 1920's, it was more trouble than the alcohol was worth. It is the same thing with other drugs now. All drugs should be under the purview of medicine, not law enforcement.

I think most anti-drug people today are simply resistant to change. That, or they have a puritanical view of substances. Either way, being anti-drug is against individual liberty.

Drug use can lead to crime only because the drugs in question are illegal. If all drugs were legal, then addicts would not need to resort to crime to obtain them. They could be administered by medical professionals.
I think you are forgetting Oxycodone. It is legal and people stole as well as harmed other citizens to get their fix.
Any government official that thinks that "If only drugs were legal there would be no more drug crime" has the potential to really mess things up.
How will getting more people addicted be a good thing?

Government will never be an easy job. It requires smart people not swayed by sound bites. Some form of business sense should be a requirement.
Our job is to make sure we make good choices with our votes.
I don't think I can vote for someone who thinks legal drugs can't cause crime but owning guns does cause crime.

Outside of Amsterdam, cities that have tolerated drug use like Portland are faced with addicts turning into criminals and harming other citizens.
Concealed carry is one option for feeling safer.
Maybe more open carry might help some would be addicts/criminals who are bent on assault rethink their plan.

Let's focus on the things we have in common here like firearms, gun rights, and protection.

I think you are forgetting Oxycodone. It is legal and people stole as well as harmed other citizens to get their fix.
Any government official that thinks that "If only drugs were legal there would be no more drug crime" has the potential to really mess things up.
How will getting more people addicted be a good thing?

Government will never be an easy job. It requires smart people not swayed by sound bites. Some form of business sense should be a requirement.
Our job is to make sure we make good choices with our votes.
I don't think I can vote for someone who thinks legal drugs can't cause crime but owning guns does cause crime.

Outside of Amsterdam, cities that have tolerated drug use like Portland are faced with addicts turning into criminals and harming other citizens.
Concealed carry is one option for feeling safer.
Maybe more open carry might help some would be addicts/criminals who are bent on assault rethink their plan.

Let's focus on the things we have in common here like firearms, gun rights, and protection.
In the case of oxy, we need to remember how it's creators lied to pharmacies and doctors about how addictive it actually was. Much of the opioid has been laid at the feet of Purdue Pharma and the Sackler Family.

https://apnews.com/article/supreme-...n-bankruptcy-df2843c77fa46d8a4752d4fe43745f0f

I'd say that is a case of corporate corruption which is the same as, if not worse, than government corruption.

Just look at what happened when we tried to criminalize alcohol in the 1920's, it was more trouble than the alcohol was worth. It is the same thing with other drugs now. All drugs should be under the purview of medicine, not law enforcement.

I think most anti-drug people today are simply resistant to change. That, or they have a puritanical view of substances. Either way, being anti-drug is against individual liberty.
I spent 25 years working in a large jail. It is mostly dumb things that got people in jail. But if you ask them "Have you ever been arrested when you were not high, not coming off a high, or not looking to get high?" 99% can't say no. the few that can quit getting high, quit coming to jail.
Drug use numbs the senses, and it's now OK not to complete court ordered programs, payments, etc... Pretty soon they are losing their job, losing their car, evicted from their homes. And what do they do then? Deal drugs, sell their prescriptions, shoplift, steal cars, etc...
These people have spouses, kids, extended families, they start out stealing from those closest to them. When you see a kid that carries everything they own in their backpack all the time, chances are great that they are living with a drug addict. I have seen this so many times I can pick those kids out of a crowd.
when kids look up at the clock at the end of school, they get very stressed wondering if their parent is going to remember to pick them up? is their parent going to be high? is their parent going be coming down and cause a scene? is their parent going to ram the car into a school bus?
Kids should not have to think about this everyday.

I worked in a jail that had a daily average population of between 3500 and 4000 inmates. In 25 years, I have seen hundreds of thousands of addicts.
I have heard from many that pot is not addicting, it does not a gateway drug, and it has no lasting effects. But I have also had to listen to grown men cry because without their pot they can't sleep. I have seen thousands that are so paranoid they can't function.

If these problems were only in their own homes and only affected them, I would not care. But they don't keep it to themselves. When their personal liberty starts affecting those around them it is no longer their personal problem.

I will say my views are formed by the high concentration of addicts I have seen and know what they do to those around them. But I can't unsee it! DR

I spent 25 years working in a large jail. It is mostly dumb things that got people in jail. But if you ask them "Have you ever been arrested when you were not high, not coming off a high, or not looking to get high?" 99% can't say no. the few that can quit getting high, quit coming to jail.
Drug use numbs the senses, and it's now OK not to complete court ordered programs, payments, etc... Pretty soon they are losing their job, losing their car, evicted from their homes. And what do they do then? Deal drugs, sell their prescriptions, shoplift, steal cars, etc...
These people have spouses, kids, extended families, they start out stealing from those closest to them. When you see a kid that carries everything they own in their backpack all the time, chances are great that they are living with a drug addict. I have seen this so many times I can pick those kids out of a crowd.
when kids look up at the clock at the end of school, they get very stressed wondering if their parent is going to remember to pick them up? is their parent going to be high? is their parent going be coming down and cause a scene? is their parent going to ram the car into a school bus?
Kids should not have to think about this everyday.

I worked in a jail that had a daily average population of between 3500 and 4000 inmates. In 25 years, I have seen hundreds of thousands of addicts.
I have heard from many that pot is not addicting, it does not a gateway drug, and it has no lasting effects. But I have also had to listen to grown men cry because without their pot they can't sleep. I have seen thousands that are so paranoid they can't function.

If these problems were only in their own homes and only affected them, I would not care. But they don't keep it to themselves. When their personal liberty starts affecting those around them it is no longer their personal problem.

I will say my views are formed by the high concentration of addicts I have seen and know what they do to those around them. But I can't unsee it! DR
Every friend and loved one I lost during the first fifty years of my life was due to illicit drug use.

I rarely come across anyone else who shares my belief on the legalization of all drugs. if you make it legal, you take away a huge chunk of revenue from illegal and violent organizations, give small businesses a chance to make money on something people are already doing, and the people who want to do it, can do it with less stigma, and if they die, they die. Their life, their call. Not for me to save.
Fentanyl, meth, and heroin have been decriminalized in Albuquerque. The results? Zombieland with half the city too dangerous to walk in and half the municipal budget directed to taking care of addicts.

OK so we're in agreement, legalizing highly addictive substances is not a solution and restricting firearm rights does not make society safer.
No, we are not in agreement. Criminalizing drugs makes addiction issues worse, not better. That is my point. Do addicts get addiction treatment in prison or do they just become better criminals?

Addicts can get treatment in jail or prison, but they have to ask for it. And very few want treatment. on average it takes a couple years sober before they start thinking like a normal person again.
I have not seen anyplace where decriminalizing drug use has made less drug addicts. I have cousins living in Portland, Seattle, and Denver. Ask people in those cities what it has done for them. My wife is from San Francisco, We used to go there a few times a year for a ball game, a night out, etc...Open Air drug use has us driving an hour out of our way to avoid it now.
I don't know what the right answer is but decriminalizing has made it worse every where it has been tried. DR

Dangerous to even say this here, but isn't this effectively the EXACT same argument for gun control? If guns were only used at home and only affected their owners, why should anyone else care? But gun owners don't keep it to themselves. The good ones tout them proudly, scare people who don't like them, open carry, promote political idealization of violent reaction to them being taken away (molon labe - amiright?) and the bad ones shoot up stores and schools and rob banks and kill innocent people. Especially working in jail, I'd venture a guess and say all of the violent criminals who had gun charges fit the bill for reasons for gun control right?

Fentanyl, meth, and heroin have been decriminalized in Albuquerque. The results? Zombieland with half the city too dangerous to walk in and half the municipal budget directed to taking care of addicts.
The city is not too dangerous to walk in. That is fear mongering for the vast majority of the population. If you're a child or a feeble woman or man, sure. But if you can stand up straight and hold a pointy stick, you're more than capable of fending of someone doing the fenty fold or the heroin nod. You can hire the meth head to toothbrush clean your driveway for $20. Just a shame they are taking all the illegal's jobs lol.
No, we are not in agreement. Criminalizing drugs makes addiction issues worse, not better. That is my point. Do addicts get addiction treatment in prison or do they just become better criminals?
I don't think criminalizing makes anything worse. I think legalizing it would make it worse. But I'm cold and don't mind them weeding themselves out. I also don't mind them not being able to network in prison as you imply, because it does make them better criminals. Its a brainstorm room of people who did everything wrong to get caught figuring out how to do it better next time and get away with it.

Back Top