JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Has anyone else started to realize they don't want to have a bunch of different ammo types? Recently I started trying to stick with .22lr and 9mm firearms, of course I still have an semi in 5.56. Just seems like its cheaper to go this route and be able to shoot multiple platforms in the same caliber. Makes "training" more fun knowing I wont have to blow through $50 worth of ammo in a session.

I have always liked popular cartridges because of component or ammo availability.
For rifles I like parent-child for brass. 308 & 243

For handguns it was self defense or for fun. Never more exotic than 357 or 44 mag though.
Kept it simple, rimmed = revolver and rebated rim = magazine

I bought a case of ammo with every new rifle or pistol early on. Had to save and budget a lot.
Saved the brass from the beginning and reloaded it as needed. Served me well for a long time.

Last Edited:
With Pistol Caliber Carbines, matching the cartridge and as @Francis states, the magazine with your carry pistol is a great strategy.

The Ruger PCC 9mm can use either Glock or Ruger magazines.

The Ruger LC 45acp carbine actually ships with a Glock compatible 13 round magazine (where legal)

At one point I had firearms in allot of different calibers but have narrowed that down in recent years to the following, which are more readily available, cost-effective and manageable:

• 22LR
• 9mm Para
• 357 Mag
• 223 Rem
• 308 Win
• 20 Gauge
• 12 Gauge

The only "odd" one I have is a single action revolver and lever action rifle chambered in 45 Colt

The ones I did away with included:

• 32 ACP
• 380 ACP
• 38 Special
• 40 S&W
• 45 ACP
• 30 Carbine
• 3006 Spring

The also means I don't have to retain so many die sets and caliber changes for my loading press.

Looking at @Sunky Heribeck 's list, I have avoided some of his discards like 32, 380, and 30 Carbine but I can't get rid of 45. 1911's are so cool.

One thing I have started doing with my rifles is adding barrels of a compatible bolt face caliber.
Reduces space requirements and lowers the cost to explore a new caliber.
22BR is an example. Case is based on 6BR which is based on 308.
I buy a .224 diameter barrel pay the "smith to chamber it, and now I have a multibarrel rifle.
Some of my long action rifles are starting to look like good "donors" for long bullet 6.5 caliber creations...

I'm a real fan of 22LR. It is experiencing a real growth of options.

I laugh at my powder collection. Once upon a time I thinned the herd and loaded shotguns with red dot and blue dot, rifles with IMR 4831 and IMR 4350, pistols with the two shotgun powders, for the most part. CCI primers for rifles and pistols and Winchester 209's for shotguns.

Since 2008 I buy any powder at any fair price. I'm loading reloader 11 (a great rifle
Instead of consolidating I reload. I can load 38/357, 38 super, 45 colt, 32 S&W, and 32 H&R Mag for almost exactly the same as loading 9mm. Try buying those for $15 to $20 a box. DR

Instead of consolidating I reload. I can load 38/357, 38 super, 45 colt, 32 S&W, and 32 H&R Mag for almost exactly the same as loading 9mm. Try buying those for $15 to $20 a box. DR
Nothing you load requires bending over to pick up brass and all those cartridges can use homemade unsized cast bullets.

BTW for 9mm's (excluding factory barrelled Glocks) cast .38 lead bullets, unsized, really shoot well out of most 9mm's.

9mm = Less expensive to shoot, more reliable feeding with multiple bullet types and one less caliber to reload.
The XC shoots so fast while being accurate. The 3 mags (two 17s and one 20) eat up a box of ammo real quick. It's a very good thing it likes any case type whether brass, steel or aluminum. 20 CPR is the going rate. Stopped saving 9mm brass. I believe the grip is the new tactical and I'm shooting Dawson precision sights now. No optic yet.

IMG_1602.jpg

Back Top