JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My advise is start small. A single stage press will always be a useful tool. No matter how many progressive presses I have and how fast they turn out ammo, My single stage press is still a fixture on my bench. I use it for prepping brass, de-priming brass, sizing bullets, and swaging soft lead into bullets. I use it to load small quantities of test ammo.
My other advise for those starting out is buy a book published by the company that makes the tools you will use. If you are using RCBS tools buy their book.
all of the manuals give basic setup info, but the book is written with details of their own tools.
Once you get your tools and supplies, work out ways to check all your work. as you are de-priming and cleaning cases look over and feel each case for defects. as you prime each case set them on a mirror or other flat surface, those with a high primer will wobble all over. as you drop powder in the cases, keep them lined up in the loading block and take one closer look to see that all cases have an even level of powder in them. DR

Step 1 is plan right? Answer a couple of questions like rifle or pistol calibers? What is the budget? both cash and time.
You will get a lot of advice shortly.
Yes, although without 40 years' of old inventory from bullets to brass to primers and powder he will have a simpler but more expensive time of it. .308 is such a versatile cartridge with everything from 110 grain to 180 grain (potentially) making it suitable for coyotes to elk.

Back Top